In addition to spending time with the clients of Project Tariro, one of the most significant events of my trip to Zimbabwe occurred this past Wednesday. When I was here two years ago, I was touched by my visit to the New Hope Home for the Elderly in Gatsi in the Honde Valley.
It turns out that a return was not part of our itinerary but as our itinerary changed throughout the week, I was very excited that we were able to add a visit to the home. As the staff of the HIV Services Dept at COH knows, I brought many pairs of shoes with me to distribute to the residents of the home. I also purchased clothes at the Brown Elephant thrift shop for me to wear during this trip with the intention of leaving the clothes behind for the residents -- this way I was able to bring even more to them without having to worry about bringing my clothes home.
The day before, I was speaking with Violet Chikanya, Manager of Project Tariro, about what I had brought with me and she was very excited, saying, "those old people will be so happy. They always appreciate visitors and will be so happy to see you." Later, she told me, "I forgot to tell you: when the team was here in April, they visited the old people. And as they were leaving one papa (old man) stood up and said, "Give my greetings to Mr. Gregory when you see him."
I was stunned and my eyes immediately filled with tears as I knew who this was. Golden. I pulled out some pictures I had brought with me and showed them to Violet who confirmed this. I told her that I had brought many magazines for him as he'd asked. And she clapped her hands with thanks and excitement.
When we arrived at the old peoples home and were getting out of the van, the administrator of the home welcomed us and said to me, "I remember you."
The residents were so pleased to receive the donations.
Unfortunately, we didn't have enough shoes for Richard, so I gave him mine. (I didn't realize that David who is on staff of Project Tariro was taking this photos with my own camera.)
We asked about the shoes that have been left previously, and Simon told us that the residents save their best shoes for church. Such faith. To wear these shoes that are falling apart through out the week, to present your best for God. But now they have shoes for both.
We also stopped at the farm at Africa University and purchased fresh eggs and three chickens for the residents. And also stopped along the drive and bought tomato and bananas.
The highlight for me was certainly reconnecting with Golden. Both he & Simon told me that he'd tried to write me some time back. He wrote me a letter and included $5 for me to purchase him some magazines. (Of course, the money is likely why it did not reach me.) I also told him that I'd written him but it seems that neither of our letters reached our destinations. He was so grateful to receive his magazines, and the picture I'd brought with me. Golden said that reading English is "my hobby." Simon said he'll sit in his room all day reading when he has something to read.
I can't put into words what this experience meant to me. I was so fearful that Golden would have passed since I'd last been here. (I learned he is now 86 years old.) Or that he'd no longer be able to see and read (as mean of the residents are blind due to cataracts.) As I put my arm around him, I could feel that he was just skin & bones and could feel every rib. And the longer we stood the more he need to lean on me until I helped him sit. I think the pictures speak more than I can communicate now as I sit here with tears streaming down my face.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment