
I’ve been asked why I would want to go to such a depressing place. To be honest I cannot even fathom the question. I wish that all I had to do was stick my head in the sand, and these situations would suddenly go away. But…
Through this opportunity, I hope to be able to learn. To experience a small bit of what people across this world each and every day. To step outside my comfort zones.
I don’t anticipate it being easy. I’ve never been outside the US let alone to the 2/3rds world. I’ve never had to worry about electricity except in the case of freak & violent storms.
More importantly, I look forward to working alongside those are engaged in this work daily in Zimbabwe -- those who find satisfaction in supporting others IN SPITE of these overwhelming obstacles. I look forward to joyous worship celebrations with Zimbabwean United Methodist Church. I look forward to being a humble visitor in another culture. I hope and pray that I may open myself to the lives and experiences of others which are so different than mine – so that I may be graced with the similarities that connect us all.
I end with a prayer that is often on my lips:
“May the Spirit comfort the afflicted and dis-comfort the apathetic.”
May this be so.
Through this opportunity, I hope to be able to learn. To experience a small bit of what people across this world each and every day. To step outside my comfort zones.
I don’t anticipate it being easy. I’ve never been outside the US let alone to the 2/3rds world. I’ve never had to worry about electricity except in the case of freak & violent storms.
More importantly, I look forward to working alongside those are engaged in this work daily in Zimbabwe -- those who find satisfaction in supporting others IN SPITE of these overwhelming obstacles. I look forward to joyous worship celebrations with Zimbabwean United Methodist Church. I look forward to being a humble visitor in another culture. I hope and pray that I may open myself to the lives and experiences of others which are so different than mine – so that I may be graced with the similarities that connect us all.
I end with a prayer that is often on my lips:
“May the Spirit comfort the afflicted and dis-comfort the apathetic.”
May this be so.
We're all praying for you and wishing you safe travels and a productive journey. Amazing!
ReplyDelete