
Since this all happened, I have been doing all I can to educate myself about Zimbabwe. I’ve learned that it is the fourth most impacted country on the planet by HIV/AIDS. An estimated 4000 people die each week as a result of the pandemic and the average life expectancy is now only 34 years of age!? This truly hit home as it is only three years older than I am now…
Each day I work with people infected and affected by HIV/AIDS. They are living, surviving, and thriving in their own ways. It is never easy to give the news that someone has HIV. But, thankfully, I am able to say “But it is not a death sentence.” The latest study I read says that if someone is diagnosed in their 20s or 30s, they can expect to live into their 70s. Medications have come a long way from AZT. HAART (Highly active antiretroviral therapy) is turned HIV from a fatal to a chronic disease.
However…
This is only IF the person has access to the meds. Here in the US there are drug assistance programs. Thus, even people without insurance can receive these extremely expensive medications. But this is not the case in Zimbabwe where only 12% of those living with the virus have access to medications.
I’ve also been reading about the history of Zimbabwe. I’ve read selections of 28 Stories of AIDS in Africa by Stephanie Nolen and am still working on House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe by Christina Lamb. It’s an awful, storied history. Whenever I read about such atrocities for the first time, I must admit that I’m ashamed that I didn’t know before. Embarrassed that I get so caught up by the little things in my life and am ignorant to the plights of others.
I look forward to the world becoming even smaller.
Each day I work with people infected and affected by HIV/AIDS. They are living, surviving, and thriving in their own ways. It is never easy to give the news that someone has HIV. But, thankfully, I am able to say “But it is not a death sentence.” The latest study I read says that if someone is diagnosed in their 20s or 30s, they can expect to live into their 70s. Medications have come a long way from AZT. HAART (Highly active antiretroviral therapy) is turned HIV from a fatal to a chronic disease.
However…
This is only IF the person has access to the meds. Here in the US there are drug assistance programs. Thus, even people without insurance can receive these extremely expensive medications. But this is not the case in Zimbabwe where only 12% of those living with the virus have access to medications.
I’ve also been reading about the history of Zimbabwe. I’ve read selections of 28 Stories of AIDS in Africa by Stephanie Nolen and am still working on House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe by Christina Lamb. It’s an awful, storied history. Whenever I read about such atrocities for the first time, I must admit that I’m ashamed that I didn’t know before. Embarrassed that I get so caught up by the little things in my life and am ignorant to the plights of others.
I look forward to the world becoming even smaller.
No comments:
Post a Comment